Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using PDC Connect, the online community of the Professional Development Consortium (PDC), you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to limit discussions, shared files and content to what is best suited to this platform. This is a great venue for soliciting the advice of your peers, benefiting from shared experiences, and participating in an ongoing conversation. We encourage members to respond to discussion posts whenever they have experience with the topic. To encourage candid exchanges of information, use of the platform is restricted to PDC members and staff – Trusted Advisors do not have access, and local group participants who are not PDC members only have access to their local group’s community.
Questions should be directed to our Member Services department via the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and productive dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violates these rules.
• Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not the author. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
• Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals. Do not use it to advertise products or services that you provide. If you’ve found a product or service helpful, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way.
• Only PDC members may post discussion inquiries, and responses may only be shared with PDC members – and their organizations’ management – unless the responding member(s) expressly grant permission for broader sharing.
• Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws. To stay well within compliance with antitrust and related laws, do not post questions related to compensation or benefits, such as:
a. Salaries, employment or leave policies, benefits, or other compensation of attorneys/ lawyers, PDC colleagues, or other members of the professional development community.
b. Attorney/lawyer hours requirements or employer timekeeping policies.
c. Employer incentives or penalties for attorneys/lawyers.
d. Payments for outplacement services (e.g., used when employers ask attorneys/ lawyers to leave).
e. In sum, “If you pay it, don’t say it.”
• All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
• Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the creator of the content.
• When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is not available for reuse. It’s also advisable to contact the owner of any material if you would like to reuse it.
• Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
Discussion Group Etiquette
• Before posting an inquiry, please check the archives on the platform for any similar inquiries posted in the last year or so.
• Before advertising a non-PDC conference, event or other opportunity, please first check with the PDC staff (703-506-2027 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to ensure that it does not conflict with a PDC event and is consistent with the PDC’s goals and strategic plan.
• State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line, and keep your questions brief. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives.
• Members who have experience with or perspective on a discussion post are encouraged to respond within three (3) business days.
• Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire community. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" option versus “Reply to Discussion.”
• If you post an inquiry, you do NOT need to compile members’ responses and post a summary reply, but you are free to do so if you wish.
• Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of the Professional Development Consortium (PDC). The PDC is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by the PDC or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall the PDC be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants the PDC and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
The PDC does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of the PDC, we will take all appropriate action.
The PDC reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization except as noted below.
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site:
Our Service Providers
We may share your personal information with companies (including our affiliates) that perform services on our behalf, for example, companies that help process credit card payments. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
Government and Legal Disclosures
We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use the Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition, other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information, please contact us using the Contact Us page.